Selenium Software Introduction
Selenium is a cluster of independent tools and is not just a simple tool.
The most recent industry trends have demonstrated a mass movement towards automation testing. Therefore, a requirement to make the practice of automating manual situations has been increased.
Within this Blog, you will learn about the Selenium applications testing tools and steps.
Advantages of Implementing Selenium Software Testing Tools
- Repeated Evaluation Cases Execution
- A large test matrix analyzing
- Caters Parallel Execution
- Hastens Unattended Execution
- Reduces human generated errors consequently improves accuracy
- Time and money saving.
It Resulted in
- Higher Return on Investment (ROI)
- Faster GoTo Industry
There are numerous advantages of automation analyzing, known well and mainly discussed during the program test industry.
Why To Chose Selenium For Automating Web-Based Applications Testing?
- Open source
- A big user base and assisting communities
- Multi-platform and browser compatibility
- Active repository developments
- Multiple language implementations encourage
Selenium supports a broad selection of browsers, technologies, and platforms.
Components of Selenium
Selenium is called a'Suite Package' using several testing applications. Each tool is designed to offer several testings and evaluation environment conditions.
Selenium Suite Offers Following Sets Of Tools
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE) -- As a plugin to firefox documents, plays and export tests in different languages. Based on it HTML’,'HTML test situation' is the most appealing format.
- Selenium Remote Control (RC) Additionally referred selenium 1' -- It will help to perform the exported evaluation in various OS/platform.
- Selenium Grid -- A variety of selenium machines could be controlled with it. Also, it's typically not only necessary for loading test, so you can ignore it.
- Selenium WebDriver -- It is the latest version of this Selenium. Supports several languages, the Android Testing & iPhone testing also.
In a mixture Selenium RC and also WebDriver, are Called Selenium 2.
According to Above, Selenium RC alone can also be referred as Selenium 1.
More About Selenium Tools
An engineer named Jason Huggins in Thought Works is having the charge to develop Selenium with his constant efforts. While he was focusing on the testing of an inner Time and Expenses application, he recognized the need to eliminate repetitive manual tasks for an automation testing tool without compromising with the precision and quality.
So, this instrument was presented before a large audience and finally categorized in the open source class using its potential to grow as a re-usable testing framework for additional internet programs, later on, this tool acclaimed as"Selenium Core".
Even the Selenium-IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is a simple to use Plugin for firefox plus among the most popular automated testing instrument amongst the testing pros to record and playback tests i.e. QTP, WinRunner to develop test cases for Selenium.
The recorded test can be then exported into various languages e.g. HTML, Java, .net, pearl, Ruby etc.. Moreover, using"selenium remote management", exported evaluation can be run in any browser and platform.
Additionally, Selenium-IDE contains a context menu which helps to pick a UI component from the currently displayed page of the browser.
Selenium RC (Selenium Remote Control)
Selenium RC arise as an effect to overcome a variety of problems incurred by Selenium IDE or Core. It is written in Java that helps an individual to develop test scripts for a web-based program in a programming language of user's decision.
When utilizing Selenium Core, various restrictions and loopholes made the testing process a cumbersome and also a far-reaching job for the user to leverage the entire benefits of the program.
Thus, to defeat the problem of the same source policy, the user has to install the whole program over the Selenium Core as well as a web server.
Thus, Selenium RC came to existence, in order to govern the exact first coverage without the necessity of earning another copy of the application under test to the Selenium Core.
Selenium RC supports a Wide Variety of browsers and platforms, Unlike selenium IDE
Description for Workflow
- In a desirable programming language, user generates test scripts.
- There is a designated client library, for each programming language.
- The evaluation commands are deported to the selenium machine by the Client library.
- Employing selenium core, the browser executes the commands and results are delivered directly back to the selenium server.
- Finally, the test results delivered to the customer library from the selenium server.
Before producing Selenium RC scripts, a Couple pre-requisites are there to be set up
- An Integrated Development Environment -- either Eclipse or Netbeans etc.
- A Programming Language -- Java, C#, Python etc..
- A Framework for Testing (optional) -- JUnit, TestNG etc.
- And of course a Selenium RC installation.
The emerging tendencies on multiple browsers and platforms concurrently demand to do different or same test scripts. So as to deal with the demand for executing the test suites simultaneously on multiple stages, Pat Lightbody introduced Selenium Grid. Thus, a tester's lifestyle is now positive and favorable using all the Selenium Grid to reach dispersed test execution, examining under different environments and unusually saving implementation time.
WebDriver is only object-oriented and blank frame. Without using any peripheral thing, it uses the browser's native compatibility to automation. It has gained a huge user base and recognition with the rising demand.
An advanced version of Selenium 2 is referred as Selenium 3. It's a mobile and web applications focused instrument for automation. Together with the extension of WebDriver API, Selenium 3 affirms the cellular testing needs. Much anticipated that this tool will be launched soon on the marketplace.